Last week we covered the basic tips of how to clean your area rugs and guidelines for general care. This week we will go over how to clean a braided rug, which is a much more specific topic.
First, follow last week’s post’s general guidelines for keeping down rug wear and tear. This is important for the longevity of the rug, especially with a braided or woven rug.
Steps on How Clean a Braided Rug:
- Check label to make sure rug is washable. If yes, move on to next steps!
- Before and after cleaning, check rug for stitching breaks.
- If your rug is small, place in a zippered pillowcase or mesh laundry bag and wash in cool water on a gentle cycle. Tumble dry rug on low.
- If the rug is large, place on a vinyl or concrete floor or over a blanket. Sponge commercial carpet-cleaning foam on surface and rub in according to foam directions. Rinse or vacuum and make sure it is thoroughly dry before placing on your wood or carpeted floor.
Cleaning Other Unique Rugs:
- Delicate rugs: Use special care with delicate vintage, handmade or antique rugs. To make sure the vacuum does not damage the rug, place a piece of nylon screen on top and weigh it down with something heavy, like a book, and vacuum over the screen. These rugs need to be professionally cleaned once a year, and we can help you with that (link to service).
- Natural fiber rugs: Rugs made from natural fibers have an open weave that allows dirt to sift through to the floor. To clean stains, scrub with a soft brush dipped in soapy water and rinse with water. Place a towel over the wet area and blot the cleaned spot dry. Water weakens natural fibers, so dry thoroughly.
- Fur and animal rugs: These rugs are very particular and need special attention when cleaned. Shake talcum powder on fur, sheepskin, and hair-on hide rugs and leave alone for a few hours. Brush the talcum powder through the rug, then shake it out. Repeat, repeat, repeat! You can wipe down the back of the rug with a cotton rag and warm soapy water.
These tips should help you not only keep your rugs for many years to come, but keep them clean too! If you need a professional, Call E&B to have us help you today.