The Best Way to Clean Tile Floors
Most people love the look of a nice tile floor in their kitchen or bathroom. Tile comes in a wide range of options, from ceramic to stone, to porcelain and slate. The colors and sizes are seemingly endless! As an added bonus, tile is typically easy to maintain. A quick sweep or pass with a wet mop and you’re done, right? Well, not so fast! If you are looking for a quick and easy solution this may be fine, but a deep cleaning every now and then will go a long way in keeping your tile looking great.
In order to keep your tile in tip top shape for years to come proper cleaning is key, and could affect the wear and look of your tile. Since there is no “one-size-fits-all” tile for every home, there is also no one size fits all cleaning solution. The best way to clean tile floors truly depends on the flooring. Here is a quick checklist to make sure you are using the right tools to deep clean your tiles.
Use this checklist to figure out the best way to clean tile floors in your home
- Where are the tiles located? Tiles in the kitchen will be exposed to food and grease and will require a different touch than tiles in the bathroom. There you may find soap scum is a far more likely cleaning culprit.
- What type of tile are you trying to clean? The best way to clean porcelain tile may be different than cleaning slate tile. Some products may dull or mar your tiles. Make sure you are using the right tools for the right project.
- What is the texture of the tile? Is it bumpy or smooth? Does it have a protective seal? A soft cloth may work with smooth tiles, but for tiles with a little more texture a brush may be a better option for getting into small grooves.
- What does the grout look like? Grout is crucial to the longevity of your tile and you want to keep it clean as well. Check to make sure the grout is in good shape; not crumbling or cracked. Grout has the tendency to pick up lots of dirt and grime which can affect the overall look of your flooring. If it is just dirty a deep cleaning may be just the ticket for sprucing things up.
Once you know the what, where, and why of the cleaning project you are ready to tackle some tile!
In the next few weeks we will tackle each type of tile for an in depth look at the best way to clean tile floors. But for now remember these tips:
- Start with the mildest cleaning option available first. Pulling out the heavy cleaning artillery will increase the chances of damaging your tile. You can do a lot with a mild detergent and a mop.
- Wipe up spills as soon as they happen. The hardest to clean messes are the ones that have been around the longest.
- Sweep and mop often. Cleaning up daily dirt will reduce the frequency that a deep cleaning is needed.
Remember when in doubt; call in the experts at E&B Carpet Cleaning. We have been cleaning tough messes for over forty years. Trust us to take care of your tile.
Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more carpet cleaning and household tips!