Can I Dye My Carpet?
Picture this, you just finished cleaning your house. The furniture is gleaming, the windows sparkle and everything smells fresh and clean. Look around. Do you like what you see? Or is there a pesky spot on the carpet, a ghost from a spilled glass of wine? Is it a faded patch, where the carpet isn’t quite the right color after months and months of the sun hitting the same spot? Maybe it is just a dingy line trekking through your living room, marking the well worn path of your family for the past few years. Perhaps the carpet is in great shape, but the color just doesn’t match your decor anymore. Replacing the carpet can cost a lot of money so that isn’t an option. Do you find yourself asking the question, “Can I dye my carpet?” We have the answer.
Can I Dye My Carpet?
It is a common misconception that you have to completely replace your carpet should something go bad. A far more economical and often forgotten solution is professional carpet dyeing. From covering up faded, sunspots to hiding an old stain carpet dyeing is an easy way to refresh your room without the cost of a full carpet replacement. Carpet dye can be a versatile option and can range in size from a small spot to an entire room. So what do you need to know about dyeing your carpet? Here are some tips to help you decide if carpet dyeing is right for you.
- Stick with a professional. It might be tempting to want a DIY fix to a small carpet problem. Trying to match carpet colors can be a really tricky job though and is really best left to the professional. It is easy for those without experience to make mistakes and turn a small job into a big headache. Without the proper training will you know the right dyes to use to ensure colorfastness? Do you want to risk mismatched spots because the colors didn’t quite blend correctly? Do you want to chance staining your furniture or your clothes in the process? In most cases, the money you save trying to do it yourself will not counter the money you will spend trying to fix any mistakes or mishaps.
- Think about what you really want. Are you simply trying to cover a small spot or are you tired of the old color all together? When talking with a carpet professional they can walk you through the process for large and small jobs, as well as advise you on the best steps to take to refresh your carpet.
- Know that certain carpets cannot be dyed. The carpet dyes cannot penetrate stain resistant carpet or really thick piled carpet, so they are not good options for the process. Nylon, wool and silk carpets work the best with carpet dyes.
- You can’t lighten a carpet color using dye. There are countless color options when working with dyes, but a universal rule is that the dye must be the same color or darker to really work effectively.
- The process doesn’t have to be difficult. If you are working with a professional like E&B Carpet Cleaning, there is little down time when dyeing your carpet. All of our carpet dyes are performed using a sprayer that is scrubbed into your carpet. It is completely safe for children and pets, and works almost immediately to permanently change the color. Your carpet can be walked on just minutes after applying the treatment!
If you have been asking yourself, “Can I dye my carpet?”, the easy answer is YES! Just call us today!